Sunday, March 3, 2019

Breaking Trends and Taking Names

 Generally, horror movies are very trope-y. Very very trope-y. According to Merriam Webster, a trope is, "a common or overused theme or device". And boy, do horror movies relish in them. From the jump scare that is a staple of the genre, shown in films such as IT (2017)Alien (1979), and The Conjuring 2 (2016), to the final girl trope in films like Scream (1996) and Halloween (1979), it is definitely not a genre defined by its originality. Because of this, it is imperative, more than in other genres, that I lean into the genre characteristics more. That includes putting in some very cliche things, such as the a dark and spooky setting, or musical cues that get louder and louder before cutting out. Obviously, I won't have much time to develop other tropes, like "Sex Means Death", or the "Killer in the Basement", but some more easily created ones might be easier to pull off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflection

  Bedtime is a horror movie with slasher elements and stars me and Murphy Rodgers. Now, before I go into the questions I need to answer, I&#...