Friday, March 8, 2019

Color Me Surprised

 One thing that I need to figure out is how my film is going to look. Color is one of the most important aspects of any film's general "feeling", but this is often underrated in horror. When you ask a layman (in this case, my Dad), horror color schemes consist of "dark".  However, there is a lot that is under the surface. Granted, it's still probably dark. But in my research, I've come across many interesting ways to use color more effectively. Rather than use the usual complementary colors, like the blue and orange that adorned a truly sickening amount of thrillers in the 2000s, I want to go for something a bit more...contrast-y. And I'll do that, primarily, through contrast. Fascinating, I know. 

  Contrast does something weird to our brains. Generally, "Hey! Those things don't match!". And our brains, like my mother when I would dress myself as a child, hate it when things don't match. Therefore, this contrast generally makes an audience feel unease. Something that I definitely wanna exploit as I make my horror movie. The use of color can be especially powerful, and almost none are more evocative than red. The color of blood, lust, and saffron sets our psyche alight, and communicates the immediacy and urgency of the danger my really stupid characters are in. Thus, I would use stark contrast in, and emphasize the use of red to get the tone of the mise en scene right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflection

  Bedtime is a horror movie with slasher elements and stars me and Murphy Rodgers. Now, before I go into the questions I need to answer, I&#...